Fall is here
Fall has finally come to Paris. That means crisper mornings, sidewalks littered with chestnuts, crazy wine sales at the grocery store, potimarrons (a type of pumpkin) everywhere and adorable little French kids in their adorable little French sweaters. I feel like people always swoon over Paris in the spring, but honestly, the fall has a magical charm rivaling even the best spring day. There is so much about Paris that naturally just feels autumnal and cozy. The dreamy streetlamps reflecting on fresh rain puddles, the early morning shutters still waiting to be opened, the smell of buttery croissants wafting from every corner bakery… ahh… there is just something splendid about it all.
Isn’t changing seasons magical? It happens every year, and
yet somehow it comes as a surprise. Somehow, I get so comfortable and
complacent in my summer regimen that I start to question whether fall will
really come. But, sure enough year after year it really does come.
Anyway, this week was pretty good. On Wednesday we went to the Petit Palais (a building built for the 1900 World’s fair that is now a free art museum.) It was FABULOUS. The building itself is just gorgeous and the upstairs courtyard was a prefect place for the boys to take a break from looking at art and get wiggles out. The best part though was how much Gideon got into it. I started telling him some stories about some of the artists/techniques (stuff that I had learned in my high school art history class) And he just ate it up. He asked great questions about why one side of a man’s face was dark and the other wasn’t and that lead to conversations about light sources and looking at where the windows are located. As we moved along Gideon just kept asking me, “ok so, mommy what should we know about this painting?” haha. It was fantastic.
On Friday we went to Euro-Disney just to walk around. We
brought a picnic dinner and walked through the shops outside the actual park.
It was funny to me that it felt like a reverse Epcot with America on display.
They had Tex mex and Chicago beef, a humongous McDonalds and Lego store and of
course tons of Disney. It was amazing how familiar it all felt.
On Saturday Saint
Mande closed down the Mainstreet (the one we live on) for an autumn festival. They
had people teaching kids to press apple cider, carriage rides, horse drawn
apple carts, kids storytelling, and a huge old wooden carousel ship thing with
minstrels. The restaurants brought their tables outside so there were lots of
people just eating right in the street. And neighbors up and down the street
brought out their used items for a gigantic garage sale. My favorite part was
that everyone got to make their own floral arrangement from flower clippings
that came fresh from the jardin in front of the Mari.
Additionally, Saturday I was able to attend a Relief Society
activity and Benjin took the boys to a tour of his company’s drug production facility.
On Sunday we rode to church where Gideon got to say the prayer
in Primary and I got to give the sharing time lesson. We were both pretty
nervous, but it helped when all 20 of the Primary kids cheered and banged on
their tables when it was announced that we would be participating in the day’s
program. I felt like I had won the academy awards and Gideon was beaming ear to
ear. I taught the kids about adverbs and had them act out giving a piece of candy
in different ways (angrily, silently, loudly, quickly, joyfully, etc) The crowd
favorite was one kid’s version of giving the candy “nervously.” It was
hilarious. We then read in 2 Corinthians about being a cheerful giver.
After church we road a bus to a family in the ward’s house. They
were super kind and the food was delicious. The wife is from La Reunion, so the
food was food from the island. I was scared to try and carry the conversation
in French. It certainly wasn’t perfect, but we were able to manage -----
something I find miraculous.
This week we’ve had plenty of rough moments, like the day I
misunderstood what Gideon’s teacher told me about lunch pickup and got a phone
call telling me I was late. So, I had to run the normally 15 min walk, pushing
Pierce through the rain. Additionally, later that day I arrived at the school only
to be greeted by a sign on Gideon’s classroom door that taught me a new word, “Les
Poux” (lice). So, I have spent the week checking Gideon’s head like a paranoid
crazy person.
However, this week has also offered the first few signs that
change is coming. Gideon cried significantly less this week during drop off,
actually referred to some of the kids as his friends and informed me, “mommy,
did you know that in French when kids don’t know what someone said they say, “comment?”
Additionally, this week I will be finishing the Book of Mormon in French and
was somehow able to teach a primary lesson (albeit super basic). Benjin has
officially started a few of his own experiments at work and was able to meet up
with some coworkers to watch a French rugby match. And Pierce is one week closer
to going to nursery…
Just like with the seasons it is easy to feel like change is
never going to happen. It’s never going to get better/I’m never going to speak French/we’re
never going to have friends, etc. But, then one day the mornings start to get crisper,
the leaves start to get crunchy and the next thing you know, fall is here!!
Bisous!
La famille Facer



















Comments
Post a Comment