Crow attacks and Mud tracks

This week has been much nicer weather (meaning many days in the 40’s or even 50’s!) On Wednesday it was so nice that we decided to have a picnic with Daddy. After a morning trip to the library, we walked down to a playground near Benjin’s work and had our classic baguette sandwich lunch. It was so delightful to spend time outside. I don’t think I had fully realized just how much I've missed it! But, this week has given me hope that there will be warm, sunny days ahead! The boys loved playing at the park: pretending to be pirates and stealing each other’s treasure or superheroes putting each other in jail. The outdoors makes such a difference! However, there are hazards too… while playing with the boys, a huge crow literally flew into the back of my head. I could feel its claws scratch my scalp! I assume it was trying to grab the apple out of my hand… I don’t know, but I know that it FREAKED me out!… So, I guess there are some benefits to winter lunches inside, too!




Pierce has spent a good chunk of the week being sick. So, Thursday we actually kept Gideon home from school since his teacher was going to be gone anyway and to allow Pierce to have a proper rest. We spent the day reading books, doing chemistry experiments, playing with cars and baking cookies. It was a nice relaxing day, but I think it helped Gideon remember that there are fun things about going to school too! That night we had our classic, Smørrebrød meal. It’s our family’s version of the Danish open faced sandwiches and if it were up to Gideon, we would have it every night because it’s basically an excuse to eat toast for dinner. But, it is a really fun activity because we just get some good sliced bread and then have a wide assortment of toppings and then we all try to come up with the best combos and encourage others to give our “recipes” a go. Examples might include: Pesto with greens, Emmental and tomato or boiled egg with siracha, cucumbers and smoked salmon or blue cheese with jam and apple. We started having these meals back in Ohio in an attempt for me to connect with my Danish roots, but we have really expanded our repertoire here in Paris with a much wider variety of fun ingredients and breads to try!

Along with the sandwiches we had a side salad made from celery root. Apparently that is one of the tuber veggies that are a big deal during the winter time here because I see them all over. So, I finally decided to buy one and figure out what to do with it later. Lots of things online suggested using it to make a salad…so, that is what I did. Turns out, if your husband doesn’t like celery, he is probably still not going to like celery roots! But, I thought it was great. It tasted like celery, but didn’t have any of those strings!

On Friday it was pretty nice weather again and while walking home from dropping off Gideon, Pierce was taking his time. On the walk a lady with two dogs stopped and asked if Pierce would like to pet them. Pierce tentatively put his hand out and touched them ever so quickly. He then BEAMED as if he had just won the gold medal! We talked about “fifi” the rest of the day and every time she came up he beamed and beamed again!

The past few weeks we have encountered a new issue with Gideon’s school. He has started to understand enough French that he knows when kids are being mean to him and say that they don’t want to play with him. It is heartbreaking to watch him try so hard but ultimately not know if anyone will be willing to play with him. Anyway, this week a few of the boys who have previously not wanted to play with Gideon said that he could play. Gideon was so excited and asked me, “mommy, do you think the Holy Ghost told them that they should let me play?” I am constantly inspired by his faith, courage and his goodness.

Friday evening, we met up with Benjin and went to Sacre Coeur. We hadn’t been up there in a while and I always forget just how beautiful the view is from up there. We went inside the church this time where there was a choir of nuns performing. Their talent in combination with the incredible acoustics made the music absolutely breathtaking.









On Saturday we took turns at the Temple. I took the early train and then Benjin met me in Versailles, and I took the boys back. It was a LOT of train time for the boys, but they were champs! Here in France, there can sometimes be an internal battle about how we should maximize our time here. When we only have so many Saturdays in Europe, should we spend another one on the train to the Temple? But, while walking down the streets of Versailles in the early morning hours watching the smoke spiraling out of chimney pots, I had the thought that of all the Chateaux I could be going to, this one is the one that will change me; this is the one that won’t just give me fond memories but will offer me power.




On Sunday Pierce seemed like he was still sick. So, I decided to say home with him from Church. Gideon and Benjin enjoyed the beautiful ward conference (especially the fantastic ward choir) and Benjin taught our Priesthood prep class solo. Meanwhile, Pierce and I took it slow, did some “home nursery” (the highlight of which was of course, bubbles) and took a little walk down to the bois. In the evening we went back to the bois so that Gideon could ride his bike and the boys ended up running all around in the mud playing chase with daddy. Whenever that happens we tend to get a little crowd of kids gawking. I don’t know if wrestling and tickle matches is just not socially acceptable here or what, but we seem to be a spectacle. Anyway, eventually we dragged our muddy selves back to the apartment and stripped everyone down and put all the clothes in the laundry.





This morning we realized that we had unintentionally tracked mud all the way up the stairs of our apartment building. When I came back from picking up Gideon for lunch, there was a note in our lobby saying, “Please remember to wipe your feet before you climb the stairs.” The worst part was that they had taken the time to not only print the message in French, but had it translated into English too…. Just incase the tactless Americans on the 5th floor (where the trail of mud led) couldn’t understand the first time…. YIKES. I was so embarrassed!!

But, in spite of the mud, the spectacle and the note of shame, I do love watching Benjin play with the boys. There is something magical about watching a really good dad. It helps me feel more secure that even though we are not perfect parents and even though we have asked some really hard things of our kids (ie. Moving to France, going to French school, touring countless old historic churches/buildings, eating celery roots, spending their Saturday on a train to the temple, etc.) At the end of the day, they have a really good dad who is willing to run around the park like a crazy man and get all their clothes muddy and help them laugh themselves silly. And I think that means a lot.

Love, 

La famille Facer



Comments

Popular Posts