Satisfied

 Last week Benjin offered to send me on a quick spontaneous weekend trip to Stockholm while he watched the kids. It was a tempting offer and I struggled to know what to do. I felt like of course I should jump at the opportunity to do something so spontaneous and fun. I struggled for a few days to figure out why something about it didn’t quite sit right with me… Then I figured it out ---- I am already completely satisfied!! What a remarkable thing! – to realize that I have experienced so much and have so many more adventures to look forward to that I simply don’t feel the need to do more. 

Instead, I had a very normal week... I bought some leeks for leek soup, went on some beautiful morning runs and taught Pierce the joys of smelling flowers --- because spring is popping up everywhere (Woohooo!).



We ran into Gideon’s best friend Agmo at the Ludotheque to the delight of both Gideon and Agmo. It’s amazing to me how long it has been since we have done a real playdate. So, I felt extra grateful for Agmo’s mom, her willingness to chat with me and let me practice my French. Additionally, I am so grateful for her little boy and his friendship with Gideon. 

Another day, I took Pierce on a little mommy-bubba date to Jardin des Plants where we explored the botanical gardens, looked for fish and discovered a new playground. Meanwhile, Benjin picked up Gideon for lunch and they enjoyed a picnic at the Zoo.




Pierce and Gideon and I surprised Benjin one night on his walk home from work by meeting him near his tram stop with the boys on their bike/scooter. It was such a lovely evening that from there we wandered over to the giant yellow slide and had a blast all playing, laughing and sliding together. Moments like that are magic! 

Pierce and I enjoyed another one-on-one date (this time to the zoo)! He and I wandered around the Zebras, lions and “goats” (most other four-legged animals). It felt so peaceful to just go at Pierce’s pace and really watch the animals. And, Pierce LOVED the freedom of being his own man and walking (rather than being strapped in the stroller).

On Friday night we met up with Benjin for a historical walking tour around the Tour Montparnasse and the Jardin de Luxembourg. The boys were very patient even though by the time we got to the Jardin de lux (where they had been hoping to find a playground) the guards were kicking everyone out for the night.



Saturday, Benjin took the boys to explore a super far away park while I spent hours cleaning all the areas of our apartment that consistently get ignored when we choose to spend all our weekends exploring instead of maintaining our living space. The boys came back exhausted!! So, at the prompting of Gideon, we spend the evening turning our living room into a movie theatre complete with cushioned seating, Christmas lights, a stage curtain, tickets, garlic press ticket scanner and of course popcorn! We watched Tarzan and Pierce’s favorite part was “the baby.”

Sunday we taught our penultimate priesthood prep class. The language struggle was real, but we stumbled our way though and ultimately I think there was a good spirit and some good takeaways. Meanwhile the boys hung out with some of their friends at church. I am SUPER grateful they have friends!!

 One of the evenings this week, we had a close call with Gideon's head against a bookshelf, but luckily avoided stiches! Finally, yesterday, Gideon and Pierce and I had a delightful park lunch date and only got rained on a little. 

So, there it is. That was my week. I am sure some of you might be tempted to say, "you gave up a fun solo trip to a new country for that?!" And, I must admit, there were a couple of moments (mostly while cleaning the gross underbelly of our fridge) where I thought to myself, I could be exploring Stockholm right now! But, my next thought was genuinely, "and I am content that I am not." My heart is already so full. I am grateful for the incredible experiences I have had. 

This is one thing I hope to take away from our time abroad... an improved ability to seek satisfaction. French people are remarkable at this. Their chefs study for years to perfect the way to satisfy the stomach with out being excessive. People here know how to be fashionable without needing a gigantic walk-in closet. French architecture achieves a beautiful balance of interest and elegance without being flashy. The French understand that more is not always better and they know how to stop at peak enjoyment. That doesn't mean giving up enjoyment, quite the contrary. It means maximizing that enjoyment and learning to relish in the satisfaction of knowing when you don't need any more. I hope I can be more like that. 

Here is to another satisfying week! 

Bisous!! La Famille Facer




 

Comments

Popular Posts